USAID’s Strengthening Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (SEED) Project
USAID’s Strengthening Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (SEED) project implemented by AECOM International Development is an integral part of the Trade and Investment Promotion in Egypt (TIPE) Bilateral Agreement. The project focuses on strengthening the development of Micro, Small and Medium enterprises (MSMEs) and Entrepreneurship. The purpose of the contract is to increase employment and income of MSMEs and Entrepreneurs with a focus on Women and Youth by:
- Stimulating Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Enhancing Formalization of Private Enterprises
- Improving Financial and Non-Financial Services to MSMEs
- Integrating MSMEs and Entrepreneurs in progressive Value Chains
- Addressing enabling environment policy reform initiatives to facilitate MSME development in alignment with the Government of Egypt (GoE) commitment and subject to the emergence of champions advocating these reforms
USAID’s SEED Project provides technical assistance, capacity building and training to BDS (Business Development Services) and Financial Services Providers in order to support the growth and expansion of MSMEs in Egypt. Stakeholders and counterparts include but are not limited to: Public Sector Reform Champions, Incubators, Accelerators, BDS Providers, Mentors, Business Associations, Investors, Financial and Non-Financial Institution, Schools and Universities, Public Organizations, MSMEs and Entrepreneurs.
USAID’s SEED Project collaborates closely with other development agencies (Donors) and USAID contractors to leverage on synergistic opportunities in achieving results. Special attention will be given to disadvantaged areas with a focus on Women and Youth. Youth is defined for the purpose of this activity as individuals who are between 15-29 years old.
USAID’s SEED Project also offers technical support to help Business Associations and other groups that help establish MSME linkages into Value Chains and improve the enabling environment for MSME development. SEED also focuses on:
- Improving access to essential financing, information and technology
- Reducing bureaucratic procedures
- Creating commercially viable business linkages with MSMEs
- Addressing policies that impact ease of establishing, running a business and expanding it
- Improving public one-stop shops (OSSs) responsible for business registration and licensing
- Helping Entrepreneurship promotion, support organizations develop sustainable solutions for enhancing Egypt’s competitiveness and innovation